Gateway to the White Water Valley
Named for St. Charles of Italy and founded along the bank of the Whitewater River in southeastern Minnesota, St. Charles became a city in 1858. It lies in a fertile valley that beckoned the early settlers with the beauty of the surrounding limestone bluffs and the richness of the land. Located 20 miles east of Rochester and 20 miles west of Winona, St. Charles offers big-city conveniences with the advantages of small-town living. St. Charles is a great place to visit and an even better place to live. The Majestic Whitewater State Park is only seven miles north of St. Charles and dotting the town are five beautiful parks offering a variety of activities, including picnic areas, volleyball courts, ball fields, playground equipment, and biking and hiking trails.