Our Catholic parish in Fort Atkinson began in 1873, when a group of Czech settlers met in November to plan a church in honor of St. John Nepomucene. The stone structure was designed and built in 1874 and completed by the people themselves in 1875.
Our first pastor was Fr. Francis Ehrenberger, and through the years 17 priests have served our parish.
Increased membership made it necessary to build onto the church in 1885 and in 1905. Various additions and many improvements have made our church what it is today. Fire destroyed the rectory in 1899; a new one was built in 1900. A new brick rectory was built and completed in 1981 while Fr. Robert Ament was pastor.
A frame school was built in 1891 for German- and Czech-speaking children. Fr. John Marshalak was pastor when a new two-story brick school was built in 1908. From 1900 until 1982 the Sisters of St. Francis of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, engaged as teachers. The school remained open until 1997.
Overall, we have had many vocations from St. John’s, including four priests and 19 women religious. From a humble beginning to this day our parish has served us well. We enjoy numerous parish and community events each year, especially Rendezvous Days in September.