The United Lutheran Church congregation was formed in 1913 and located its church building on West Third Street. One block west, the evangelical Lutheran Church of The Redeemer had built its church building that same year. The two Lutheran congregations flourished for many years, each adding to its membership, programs, and service to the community of Zumbrota and also renovating and remodeling their buildings over the years.
In 1962, the United Lutheran Church Council invited the members of The Redeemer church to attend services during their church remodeling. This spirit of cooperation was a forerunner to an exchange of pastors for Lenten services in 1966 and pastors conducting services together in 1967 at each church. The two congregations were becoming one, and a vote to merge was approved in 1970.
After the merger, services and activities continued to be held in both church buildings, now referred to as the East Chapel and the West Chapel. As part of the unification process, the congregation chose the name United Redeemer Lutheran Church at its annual meeting in 1972. A year later, the congregation voted to hold services in only the West Chapel (the Redeemer church building). The United Lutheran building was torn down in 2005. The growing congregation made many improvements to the building and properties in the subsequent years, including buying surrounding property to provide additional parking space. The most extensive project was the two-story addition of 10,500 square feet in 1986. The added space included Sunday School classrooms, staff offices, kitchen, and a fellowship hall. Today, the congregation is a welcoming community continuing its faith journey through worship, music, education, programs for all ages, and outreach.