In 1929 local businessman Martin Kuhar deeded an area of land along the Cottonwood River to the City of Lamberton. Mr. Kuhar meant for this park to be a place for gathering, fun and relaxation. He did not want this donated land to be used for any commercial purposes. Even though the park area is located outside the city limits the city agreed to accept the park land and maintain the park in perpetuity.
Kuhar Park is ideally located for local citizens and travelers alike. The park is located alongside Redwood County Highway #6, one half mile north of U.S. Highway #14 at 13494 County Highway 6. The parks 23.89 acres lie within the floodplain of the Cottonwood River, therefore the topography is basically flat. The park is a frequent stopping point as a rest area and overnight camping area for tourist and travelers. Many family reunions and picnics are held at Kuhar each summer. Redwood County has provided a bicycle path from U.S. Highway #14 to the park. The dam across the Cottonwood River was originally built around 1930 to provide a swimming area on the river. The swimming area was closed when the city built a swimming pool in the 1960’s. There are three picnic shelters in the park. A nine-hole frisbee golf course is available. A public water access was added to the park in 2016 for people to enjoy. There are four camping sites situated along the main park road. The camping sites include concrete pads, water and electrical connections. The city does not reserve any of the camping sites at this time, however, the shelters may be reserved by contacting the city at 507-752-7601.
Many changes are happening to the park which include the construction of a new bathhouse, an additional 6 campsites (with the possibility of adding an additional 10) with water and electric hookup, updated electrical for the two front shelters, and a series of riffles will be coming soon along the river which will increase fishing potential throughout the park.