During the late part of the 19th century and early part of the 20th Century, Augusta Wisconsin had as many as 7 passenger trains stopping a day. Some stops where just “whistle stops” but others where regularly scheduled arrivals and departures. Some of these trains also stopped at Rodell Wisconsin (formerly known as Rosedale, Wisconsin), Fairchild Wisconsin and Humbird Wisconsin. These same railroad tracks are still in use. Augusta Wisconsin was laid out and organized as a village in 1856. It became a political unit in 1883 and was chartered by the State of Wisconsin as a city in 1885. 2006 marked the 150th year of the town.
Formerly known as a part of Bridge Creek, it has it that some citizens proposed to name the place after the prettiest girl in town. They held an election, and Augusta Rickard, a visitor to Augusta Wisconsin from Oak Grove, Wisconsin was the winner.” * (This naming information conflicts with the article, An Early History of Augusta Wisconsin and also conflicts with the information in the “History of Augusta in our Centennial Year of 1956”).
John F. Stone was one of the first settlers of Augusta Wisconsin. He erected a saw and gristmill at a point on Bridge Creek in 1856.