Barron, Wisconsin history dates back to the establishment date of 1860. However, long before 1860, what is now Wisconsin and Barron County was the home of many thousands of Native Americans. Hundreds of lakes provided excellent fishing, and forest lands offered the best in hunting. In 1860, John Quarderer came from the Stout Lumber Co. to what is now the City of Barron.
The land was a vast wilderness of giant white pine and hardwood forests that had been growing undisturbed for years. Mr. Quarderer built a logging camp on the south bank of what is now known as Quarderer’s Creek. He built a small company store to supply his workers, and in 1874 he also built a hotel. He acquired title to much land along the creek and the Yellow River, and his name probably appears on nearly all the early abstracts involving real estate in the City of Barron.