Harris had its start in the year 1889 by the building of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad through that territory. It was named for one of its founders, A. W. Harris. Harris is located in the north eastern corner of the county. The Mini Grotto located here was built behind the old post office. The individual who built it was named Bud Allen and he was the former Postmaster. At that time he also ran a Cafe in Harris.
After several year of neglect the "Save the Mini Grotto Organization" was formed. Through their efforts funds were raised to relocate the Grotto to a nearby park, add landscaping, sidewalks, a park bench and lighting.