Lake Wilson is a city in Murray County, Minnesota. Lake Wilson was platted in 1883 and incorporated as a village on July 12, 1900. It was named by Mads Rosebo Wilson (a landowner in the area) who also named the nearby lake for himself.
On June 16, 1992, Lake Wilson was struck by a devastating F5 tornado that completely destroyed half of the town, which has since been rebuilt. On January 12, 2004, the city’s fire hall exploded, destroying it and the nearby elevator. It also damaged many nearby houses and businesses. The city estimated that recovery costs resulting from the explosion totaled about $4.2 million. Since then both the fire hall and elevator have been rebuilt. Lake Wilson is now restored into an amiable little town, offering great people and a beautiful lake nearby.