From the time the land was patented to Rodger Wells, Jr. in 1858, the lakes have been an important factor in development of the Madison Lake area. The Native Americans who frequented the forests and hunted the shores called the land “Waukensika”. Government surveyors, who came later, named some of the larger lakes of the area in honor of U.S. Presidents -Washington, Jefferson and Madison. The lakes attracted tourists to the area that was surrounded by rich farmland, lakes and forests. Resorts such as Copananing Hotel, Lake House Hotel, and Point Pleasant Resort and beaches existed before and during the development of Madison Lake.