Plum City, located in the southeast corner of Pierce County, was named by the Moser family who arrived here in 1856. This profusion of wild plum trees and a small stream running through a peaceful valley attracted a variety of settlers, including: American Indians, English, French, Swedes, Swiss, Irish, Germans and Norwegians.
All of what is now Pierce County leading from the mouth of the Chippewa River north to the headwaters of Plum City, was once the home of the Eastern Sioux Indians. It was a great trapping and hunting ground and the French transported huge quantities of furs through the Saint Croix waterways north to Lake Superior and on to Montreal. Chippewa Indians also arrived here and there were several Indian wars before 1686 among rival tribes over the better hunting grounds west of the Chippewa River. Part of present-day Plum City was settled during the French occupation. This early settlement surrounded the natural spring pond, which existed in a primitive state in the 17th Century. That spring continues to flow to this day, creating a serene natural setting.