First settled and established as the Village of Vernon in 1857 with most of the town site proprietors coming from Mount Vernon, Ohio. When the railroad built east of old Vernon, they laid out a new town first called Edgewood. In 1885, the two towns were consolidated under the current name of Vernon Center. Our City is located half-way between the cities of Mankato and Blue Earth with State Hwy 169 dividing our City in two.
The 4th of July is a town celebration that has continued since the early 1900’s and includes daytime activities for the young and old to enjoy and an evening parade followed by a spectacular firework’s display at dusk.
Our City proudly hosts a volunteer Fire Department, four churches, a bank, lumber yard, meat locker and many other businesses.