The story of Trinity Lutheran Church is as much a lesson in history as it is a study of two churches' commitment to offering God's word and the services of the Lutheran church to their congregations.
St. Paul's-The beginnings of St. Paul's Lutheran Church date back to the year 1870. At the time, a number of families decided to make an effort to secure the services of a pastor. The first service was conducted shortly after Easter 1870. It was not until March 15, 1871 that the congregation was organized.
The first church edifice was erected in 1880 and was a frame building, 52' x 28'. The frame was about half completed when a cyclone storm demolished it. In 1897, a school building was erected, and in 1900, the congregation, numbering seventy families undertook the task of building a new church.
St. Olaf-According to history books, St. Olaf's ELC Church started in 1937. The first services were held in the home of Mrs. Augusta Gilbert. A new church was built in the mid-1940's on the corner of West Main and North Maple, New Hampton.
Trinity-On July 31, 1958, in separate congregation meetings, St. Paul's and St. Olaf's made the historic decision to merge. The merger of the two New Hampton congregations was the first merger of an American Lutheran Church and an evangelical Lutheran Church in the Iowa District.
From the merger of the two churches, Trinity Lutheran Church (ALC) was born; and a new era in Lutheran Ministry began.
On August 10, 1958, the historic merger was completed with the first joint service in the St. Paul's building. The two groups met on the sidewalk in front of the church steps and merged into one group. Singing "A Mighty Fortress Is our God", they entered the church carrying altar paraments, offering plates, and other useful tools of worship.
In 1964, St John Lutheran Church of Lawler joined Trinity Lutheran and in 1969 St John Lutheran Church in Boyd began sharing pastors with Trinity. In 1973 several members of St John Lutheran Church joined Trinity Lutheran when their church in Ionia closed.
A new educational building and fellowship hall was dedicated in 1962, and in 2001, an addition to the church building added new office space, a fireside room for meetings and new narthex.
The list of cooperative projects continued to expand, as does our mission. The mission of Trinity Lutheran Church is to multiply and equip the children of God's household.