CLINTON, a railway village at the center of Almond Township, in section 16, was named probably for one of the many villages, towns, and counties bearing this name, which are found in our eastern and southern states. The village was settled about 1877 as Central, an agricultural community exporting wheat, barley, oats, and potatoes, with a post office of that name from 1878 to 1885. The name changed to Clinton in 1885 and the village was platted, and although the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad station was moved to the village, the railroad insisted on calling it Batavia until the village was incorporated in 1890. The railroad loading platform, named Rupert, two miles south of the village, was also moved in 1890 to the village. Erickson's Addition, now the main business part of the city, was platted in 1886 and incorporated into the village in 1888. The first store, the post office, and the lumberyard were built by Peter McCormick, the first postmaster. The village had feed mills, a plow factory, four grain elevators, a creamery, and several general stores; the first county fair was held there in 1907.