Eldora was platted in 1853.It was incorporated on July 1, 1895.
The name Eldora was given to the town by a local mother in honor of her dead infant daughter. It is derived from the Spanish name for “the gilded”.
Located in America’s heartland, Eldora has been regarded as the garden spot of Hardin County and Central Iowa, thanks to Pine Lake State Park, the Iowa River Greenbelt and the numerous county parks that provide recreational opportunities. Business, industry, agriculture, schools, churches and a strong heritage of family values make the area an ideal location for a young family to realize the Great American Dream.